The Timbuk2 Tahoe Overnight Duffel in the “Looking Glass” color may be the most attractive product that Timbuk2 has ever made. Our need for a secondary carry-on led us to the Tahoe and its looks won us over. We were impressed with the bag when we received it as you can tell in our video below. We’ve since used this bag on a 5-week trip through Asia. How do we like the bag now?
Like all of our bags, we’ve made a video review for the Timbuk2 Tahoe that you can watch on our YouTube channel Tekuben Prime or below:
If you would like to buy this bag, please consider purchasing it from Amazon.com with this link. Doing so will help support our work here at Tekuben.
What we like about the Timbuk2 Tahoe:
- High quality materials used throughout
- Functional design with purposeful pockets for organization
- Beautiful looking bag
What we don’t like about the Timbuk2 Tahoe:
- Non-padded strap is not comfortable and digs into shoulders
- Magnetic closure is finicky
- Side buttons are not intuitive
Timbuk2 Tahoe Review
We only used 4 bags, all carry-ons, on our trip through Asia. Each bag we took had to (1) comply with regional airline carry on requirements, (2) have enough space for all of the things we need on the trip and (3) be easy to travel with (lightweight and as “out of the way” as possible). We decided to go with the combination of 2 upright rolling suitcases (Timbuk2 Co-Pilots) and 2 duffels (this Timbuk2 Tahoe and one other – review of that one will be coming soon).
This was the longest trip that we have been on and enjoyed the challenge of only using carry-on sized luggage.
We were delighted when we received the Timbuk2 Tahoe. Timbuk2 had described the Tahoe on their website as having “premium liner fabric with a soft surface finish”. It most certainly does. The richness of the fabric is apparent as soon as you put your hands on it. Not only is it soft and supple, after 5-weeks and 3 continents, the Timbuk2 Tahoe still looks like new. Shiny, gleaming, ready for our next adventure. We are impressed with this bag. The designers of this bag included well placed pockets, our favorite being the zippered compartment on the flap. The Tahoe has a wide opening to the main compartment and we found the roominess to meet our needs.
As much as we’re infatuated with the Timbuk2 Tahoe Duffel, we have a few concerns with the bag worth noting:
- The “shoe garage” on the bottom of the bag is really only suitable for flip-flops and flats – unless you want to flatten your shoes with the weight of everything you pack in the main compartment.
- The side buttons that can be released to expand the bag is not as intuitive and well-designed as it should be. We didn’t learn about it until after our trip. We tried unbuttoning it during the trip but thought we would be ruining the bag if we applied any more pressure than we already did. We do have concerns about the durability of these buttons as we can see the leather expand overtime to a point where it wouldn’t snap back on to the rivet.
- The long shoulder strap that comes with the bag is not comfortable to wear since it doesn’t have any padding. Consider upgrading the shoulder strap even if it diminishes the sleek looks of the bag.
Overall though, we highly recommend the Timbuk2 Tahoe Overnight Duffel if you’re looking for a carry-on friendly, fashionable yet functional duffel to be used for a long weekend trip or a month long adventure. It’s not the throw anywhere type of bag that the Eagle Creek No Matter What Duffel is, but the Tahoe is stronger than its pretty appearance might suggest. The Timbuk2 Tahoe is a Tekuben Approved™ best-in-class duffel ($200, International Carry On). Whether you choose this bag or not, get out there and safe travels.
Model: Timbuk2 Tahoe Overnight Duffel Bag
Color: Looking Glass
Style Number: 634-6-2662
Similar Styles: 634-6-1096; 634-6-5675; 634-6-7680
Dimensions (As provided by Timbuk2)
12.6″ Tall x 22″ Wide x 11″ Deep or 32 cm x 56 cm x 28 cm
Capacity: 2,563 cu.in or 42L
Weight: 2.9 lb or 1.3 kg
Warranty: Timbuk2 Lifetime Warranty
We’ve made a videogram of the Timbuk2 Tahoe for you to share this bag with others:
Rating (relative to other bags in its class)
We highly recommend the Timbuk2 Tahoe Overnight Duffel if you’re looking for a carry-on friendly, fashionable yet functional duffel to be used for a long weekend trip or a month long adventure. It’s not the throw anywhere type of bag that the Eagle Creek No Matter What Duffel is, but the Tahoe is stronger than its pretty appearance might suggest.